Hereaus Quartz Plant Tour - Buford
Heraeus Quartz Carpool Park&Ride I-985 - Hwy. 20SR20 Park & Ride, Georgia, USA
Buford, GA 30519
Heraeus Quartz North America LLC is one of the world’s largest manufacturer of synthetic fused silica and has significantly contributed to optical data transmission technology. Their Buford facility manufactures and sells finished and semi-finished high purity silica glass preforms, tubes, rods, and cylinders for the Telecommunications, Specialty Fiber, Semiconductor, Optics, and Lamp Industries.
In 2016 Heraeus Quartz North America LLC won the Production Systems award for “Best HPS Achievement” amongst all the applications submitted from Heraeus manufacturing sites worldwide.
Their 100,000 sq. ft. facility employs 210 associates that implement lean manufacturing initiatives to gain higher yields and reduce costs. Key initiatives that have helped the facility see year over year metric improvement include Visual Controls, 5-S, Improvement Data for Problem Solving, and Performance Management.
The tour will include the manufacturing areas of cylinder preparation, preform production, and tube production. They will highlight their version of kamishibai boards, a “leader perfect day”, individual accountability boards, continuous improvement training, as well as Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt projects.
Heraeus is headquartered in Hanau, Germany, is a leading international family-owned company with approximately 12,400 employees in 40 countries.
- 8:15am Meet at the Park & Ride at I-985 and Hwy 20 (Carpooling is Mandatory as there is very limited parking)
- 9:00 – 9:30 am Registration, Refreshments and Networking
- 9:30 – 9:45 am Corporate Presentation and Safety Briefing
- 9:45 - 10:45 am Plant Tour
- 10:45 – 11:00 am Wrap up and Summary
- Only 2 people per company allowed.
- Steel toed boots and long pants are required. CLOSED TOED/FLAT BOTTOMED SHOES ARE MANDATORY.
- No competitors are allowed. The attendee list will be reviewed and competitors will be uninvited to the tour.